Zambia Celebrates The African Statistics Day 2022
Zambia joined the rest of the African countries in commemorating the African statistics day which falls on 18th November every year. The African Statistics Day is an annual event celebrated on 18th November to raise public awareness on the importance of statistics in all aspects of social and economic life.
This year’s theme was “Strengthening data systems by modernising the production and use of agriculture statistics: informing policies with the view of improving resilience, in agriculture, nutrition and food.” This year’s theme is aligned with the African Union theme, “2022, the Year of Nutrition: strengthening resilience in nutrition and food security on the African continent”.
The Zambia Statistics Agency (ZamStats) conducted some activities during the African Statistics week. The activities that were conducted were:
- Launch of the African Statistics day celebrations on ZNBC by the Permanent Secretary, EMF, Ministry of Finance and National Planning on the 17thNovember, 2022;
- Flower and tree planting on the 17th November at ZamStats premises by members of staff;
- Exhibition of statistical products with other stakeholders in the National Statistical System (NSS) on 18thand 19th November, 2022 at east Park Mall; and
- Launch of National Statistical Coordinating Committee (NSCC) on the 22ndNovember, 2022.
This year’s African statistics Day came at a time when the African continent faces multiple challenges, including those stemming from climate change like floods and desertification. ZamStats decided to plant trees and flowers as a way of fighting climate change. Another highlight of the Commemoration was the Statistical exhibition organised by ZamStats where a number of data producers participated. The exhibition was held at East park mall where members of the public were targeted. The objective of the exhibition was to share different types of data and statistics from different producers with the public to promote statistical awareness.
The other activity that the office conducted during the celebrations was holding of the inaugural meeting on the National Statistics Coordinating Committee (NSCC). In accordance with the Statistics Act No. 13 of 2018, Cap 14(2) the committee shall provide an interrelation among the members of the National Statistical System in the:-
- Provision of documents and other information for the purpose of, and in connection with, the compilation, production, analysis and dissemination of official and unofficial statistics;
- Use of official and unofficial statistics;
- Research and development of statistical methods and techniques;
- Training of statistical officers; and
- Advocacy for the awareness of the importance of
ZamStats will continue engaging both the users and producers of statistics to help in building a strong National Statistical System.
“Statistical Exhibition of Producers of Statistics and Information at East Park Mall during the African Statistics Week, 18th and 19th November 2022”